We will be bringing you images of cross-slabs and related memorials and posting them here, all drawings and photographs copyright Chiz Harward, Urban Archaeology unless otherwise attributed.
|Cross-slabs from Gloucestershire churches: St Mary Edgeworth|
|Cross-slabs from Gloucestershire churches, L-R, Miserden, Sapperton, Duntisbourne Rouse|
Walter of Cheltenham was a member of the Abbot's Council in 1285. In 1298 he was securing for the abbey the restoration of the church of Ampney St Mary, of which he was rector. In 1302 he procured a licence to alienate in mortmain to the abbey a house and carucate of land in Sapperton. By 1269 he held the churches of Ampney St Mary and Withington. In 1291 he obtained the church of Coates, and in 1298 that of Sapperton. He was already dead in 1306. Walter only received orderes as a subdeacon in 1284 and priest in 1300. He was clearly not a canon but a secular priest. His property may have been given to help build the [Cirecncester] abbey choir' Ciren. Excav. IV p165